Thursday, November 22, 2007

Un poquito mas Chile

A little bit more on Chile. Firstly, I neglected to mention the huge amount of couples that are totally all over each other here. It's quite funny most of the time as couples lie on top of each other in parks, on benches, against trees, lamposts and so on. It's a national pastime to snog each others faces off at any given opportunity! When we were at one of the nice looking parks a girl returned from the toilet to be instantly jumped on by he boyfriend. I just kept thinking, 'get a room!'. But then I suppose that's just the Latin spirit so it's not something that bothers me, unless the couple in question are above a certain age!
Secondly, in Chile and most of South America I'm a gringo. That is, a person of fair complexion. A group of drunk Chileans shouted 'Hey Gringo!' at me and came over to us. They were alright as it happens and just wanted to welcome us to Chile and invited us to drink with them. I had read that this does happen with foreigners and can sometimes lead to a drunken mugging later in the day. I gave it a miss!
I like Chile though and would like to see more. It's a very narrow country and no part of it is further than 250 miles from the Ocean. The Andes border the back of the country onto Argentina, and what a mountain range the Andes is.
To the north there's desert(and I think it's the driest place on Earth) and surf, to the south there's the last point before reaching the south pole. The 'end of the Earth' as they like to call it. Freezing fiordlands and lakes and so forth. In winter there's snowboarding and skiing. Surfing in many places, cold water apparently year round, and further south lots of cowboy-esque plains for horse trekking if you like that kind of thing.
Brief as it was I liked the sound of Mendoza in Argentina and was keen to see the capital, Buenos Aires. Across the Andes it is then!

No comments: