Monday, June 18, 2007

Destination Helsinki

So, what can I say? Helsinki is pretty cool, in more ways than one! It's a beautiful place but not somewhere I'd think of coming for a holiday. I'm glad we did though. Some of the buildings are amazing and the people aren't as miserable as I'd heard. A t-shirt we saw for sale sums it up really "I like Finland". And that's about it, I don't think I could love it but liking it is enough. The hostel is pretty good, especially now we've upgraded to a really flash apartment. It's like something out of an Ikea catalougue!
We've managed to see pretty much everything that Helsinki has to offer. An island sea fortress, a church cut into rock, free concert in one of the squares and plenty ofother random things. One thing that seems to be pretty widespread here is the fact that most people like heavy metal, which is good. Bars play it, it's all over the radio and the band who won the Eurovision last year, Lordi, are like national heroes here. They have their own cola, pubs and stamps!!
Overall the place is pretty cool but I think 5 days here is probably too much. It's easy to get around once you get used to all the street names being written in Finnish and Swedish, which can make map reading tough. It's also strange that it never gets dark in the summer months. You can be out at 1 in the morning and the sky is blue, very confusing.
All in all a good time but can't wait to get to Beijing now!

The Simonelski monument. Go on, you can't resist giving it a tap.



The main building in the main square of Helsinki. Can I remember it's name? Can I balls.


A church cut into rock, obviously. Architecture in Helsinki. Great. Also a good band, check em out!

No comments: