Thursday, June 21, 2007

Balmy barmy Beijing

So this is day two in Beijing, sort of. Stayed awake for 32 hours yesterday from the flight from Helsinki. Totally bemused and in a state of surreal shock all day. This place must take some getting used to. We met a really nice Dutch couple on the bus from the airport but then lost them in a crazy bicycle taxi ride to the hostel, well not quite near the hostel, in which we ended up pay 35 quid for. But you live and learn. The taxi ride dropped us right in the middle of a hutong, which is a shanty town with really run down small houses and a total maze of streets. We just couldn't find our way out and no-one spoke much english. Thing is with China is that everyone stares at you. I don't think I could get used to it, constantly being on show. It's really strange but when you're out on the street there isn't too many tourists(aka white people) about so I think we are a real novelty. But we're also a target for badgering sales and 'friendly' chinese who really want to sell you stuff by asking you questions about where we come from and the like.
The humidity is pretty intense and there's a constant gloom covering the city, not sure if it's al smog though, possibly due to intense humidity.
Today maybe different but it really does feel like a dream. The majority of things are cheap but it can be difficult to gauge.
We've had a look round Ti'an an men square and today we're going to the forbidden city. Hopefully get to see the great wall and then move on to Xi'an to see the terracotta warriors. From clean and cool Helsinki to this is real shocker but we may get a feel for it in a few days. At the moment I'm thinking this is still partly a third world country and a long way from being an international superpower. I've no idea how the locals will react to the Olympics with all the tourists, they won't know which way to look!
Another thing is the shear amount of police and guards here. Everyone seems to be ruled over strictly and not many people seem like they're having a good time, including the tourists. I suppose it's still in the wake of communism but Mao is still an iconic figure here.
Our hotel is pretty nice,especially more so seing as it's right in the middle of abject poverty of a hutong. As soon as you walk out of the door through the nice entrance it's tumble down shacks and locals looking at you.
The buildings on the whole look really cool though and are in that typical chinese style with tiled green roofs and wood everywhere. I think some of the places are amazingly beutiful, it's just the things that go along with it that I can't get my head around.


How I managed to get a shot without a zillion people in I don't know!


This is pure China all over.

2 comments:

Conky said...

I am sooooooo glad you are blogging as you go...I am loving this! Thank you

Gavin said...

I do what I can. It's all been a bit of a blur so far! But a good one!